SERVPRO Saves the Day on This Wadsworth, Ohio Water Damage Restoration
Wadsworth, Ohio water damage restoration
In August of 2023, SERVPRO’s help was requested on a water damage restoration project. The damage was in the basement of a Wadsworth home, and four rooms were impacted. Luckily, we were able to restore the rooms to their pre-damage state.
After the cleanup was finished, we knew we wanted to create this Wadsworth, Ohio water damage restoration report to help our readers understand how we go about restoring spaces to ensure that they are safe and healthy for all inhabitants.
Details of Our Wadsworth Water Damage Repair Work
This Wadsworth water damage restoration project originated from heavy rains causing water to overflow into outside window wells and infiltrate the home’s finished basement. The initial plan we developed outlined the necessary approvals, equipment, and tasks for fixing the damage. The affected rooms of this Wadsworth, Ohio water damage restoration project included a utility room, game room, rec room, and bathroom.
Two technicians were scheduled to work for two days. Work completed included mucking out the area, extracting hard surfaces, and placing dehumidifiers and air movers in key spaces, which helped the areas regain their original states and functionality.
Executing the Plan
In the final scope, there were minimal changes to the general tasks outlined, with adjustments to floor protection and baseboard removal in the rec room. The workforce remained consistent with two technicians for two days.
Notable alterations in specific rooms included an increase in the extraction of hard surfaces in the utility room and game room, a change to extracting 50% of hard surfaces in the game room, and an expansion of extracting all carpet in the rec room. To finish this Wadsworth water damage repair project, baseboard removal was introduced in both the utility room and the bathroom.
Our goal is always to provide the best restoration project results possible, and we are able to accomplish this with the flexibility of the project scope and plan. The overall modifications aimed to refine the restoration process based on ongoing assessments and considerations, ensuring a comprehensive and effective response to the water damage.
About Our Water Damage Restoration Services
Overall, we were happy to help this home through the water damage restoration process. SERVPRO of Barberton/Norton is faster to any size disaster, and we are always ready to help you through your cleanup and restoration efforts. Our company is women-owned and operated and our team is highly trained, making us the perfect destination for all of your water damage repair needs. Regardless of the size of loss or time of day, we are ready to serve you 24/7, 365 days a year.
Beyond water damage repair, we also provide the following services:
- Fire damage restoration
- Mold cleanup
- Storm damage assistance
- Commercial services
- Specialty cleaning
- General cleaning
Specialty services include air duct and HVAC cleaning, biohazard and crime scene cleanup, carpet and upholstery cleaning, document restoration, drape and blind treatment, odor removal, roof-tarping and boarding, and vandalism and graffiti treatment.
Contact Us Today for More Info on Our Water Damage Restoration Services
Whether you have experienced a weather-related emergency or want someone on speed dial for the moment one comes, you can count on SERVPRO of Barberton/Norton for the best water damage restoration in town.
Be sure to contact us today with any questions you may have!
Know the Facts: Fire Damage Statistics
We are "here to help" handle your home or business's fire damage restoration needs!
The unpredictable nature of fires can lead to so much devastation and loss for your home or business.
According to the National Fire Protection Association, there are around 346,800 house fires per year causing on average 2,620 fatalities.
Understanding the facts when it comes to fires can help you to better prepare your family and employees in case of disaster.
General Fire Facts & Stats
- Cooking is the leading cause of house fires, followed by:
- Electrical Systems & Equipment
- In 2020, fire and lightning insurance claims had the highest average payout of $77,340.
- On average, across the US, a fire department responded to a fire every 23 seconds in 2021.
- In 2021, there were 1,353,500 fires reported, including residential and non-residential structures.
- In 2020, per 1,000 fires, the national average was 2 deaths and 8 injuries.
Ohio Fire Facts & Stats
- Ohio has the 7th most fatal home fires per capita in relation to the other 50 states, with Texas being the first.
- Smoking is the top cause of fire deaths in the state of Ohio, making up 20% of fatalities.
It's difficult and scary to imagine your home or business experiencing a fire. It can be hard to determine where to start when a disaster like this occurs.
If your home or business falls victim to a fire, SERVPRO of Barberton/Norton is "here to help." Our experienced technicians handle the care and restoration of your property and its contents. We handle the cleanup and the reconstruction, so you don't have to worry about juggling multiple companies.
If you find yourself in need of fire damage restoration, give us a call today!
Know the Facts: Water Damage Statistics
We are "here to help" handle your home or business's water damage restoration needs!
It's no secret that April showers are the start of Ohio's rainy season. Despite the name, April is only the 4th rainiest month in Ohio, with May, June, and the rainiest, July rounding out the top three.
As we work our way through the wet season, it's important to understand the facts of water and storm damage.
National Water Damage Facts & Stats
- 14,000 people in the US are affected by water damage every day.
- The average insurance claim to repair a water damaged home is $11,605.
- 99% of US counties experienced a flood from 1996-2019.
- 98% of US homes will experience water damage in their basements at least once.
- Even the smallest leak can increase the average water bill by 10%.
- In 2020, almost 20% of home insurance claims were due to water damage and freezing.
Ohio Water Damage Facts & Stats
- In Ohio, 540,863 properties have more than a 26% chance of being affected by severe flooding in the next 30 years.
- In 2021, at least 142 people died in flooding incidents, 64 of which were driving.
Water damage, whether it be from flooding or a storm, can be a difficult process to deal with. Luckily, SERVPRO of Barberton/Norton is equipped to handle all of your water damage restoration needs! From the drying process to reconstruction, we work with all insurances to get your home or business looking "like it never even happened."
Know What to Do Before, During, and After Spring Weather Strikes
We handle all of your water damage restoration needs!
Preparation Before a Storm
Stay Safe During the Next Big Storm
Depending on the person, you may either love to watch a storm roll in, or you may find yourself stricken with anxiety as dark clouds form at the horizon. No matter what end of the spectrum you fall on, knowing what to do to stay safe during a storm can benefit anyone. Keeping yourself and your loved ones safe during a storm is the top priority, so here are a few tips to help you the next time a storm is on the radar:
- Remain indoors. This can be inside your home or the home of a neighbor if need be. If you are outdoors, seek shelter at a local business, or a public restroom. Public restrooms in parks are typically built to be storm proof. Should there be no other options, sheltering in your car should keep you safe and dry as you wait out the storm.
- Stay away from windows. The safest place to be during a storm is a basement. If your house doesn’t have a basement, bathrooms are a good choice as well.
- Try to stay away from appliances. Avoid showering or talking on a wired phone during a storm. Lightening can travel through plumbing fixtures or home wiring, so avoid using your washer and dryer during a storm. Lightning strikes can cause those appliances to short and catch fire.
- Once the storm has passed, be cautious when walking around, especially outside. Be alert for down powerlines and tree branches. If you smell gas, be sure to contact authorities immediately.
Is Your Home Prepared for the Next Storm?
Each year, thunderstorms alone cause approximately $15 billion in property damage. Summer and spring seasons are the most vulnerable to these destructive and frightening storms.
There are several ways to prepare your property:
- Always have an emergency kit with these items that you probably already have in your house: flashlight, battery powered weather radio, extra batteries to fit each electronic, non-perishable foods, lots of bottled water, can opener, first aid kit, fire extinguisher, blankets, extra clothes, sturdy shoes or boots, clock or watch, whistle to signal for help, and any important personal items and documents.
- Know the safest structure of your home to go to during a severe storm such as a basement, underground cellar, or even the most inner part of your home away from windows.
- Get routine maintenance on your roof and the foundation.
- Cut down any unwanted trees or limbs and get your trees trimmed before summer storm season. Trees and branches can fall on your property and damage the siding, windows, and roof.
- Contact your insurance company to be more familiar with your policy. Most home insurers do not cover flooding damage.
- Keep all expensive and favored possessions off the floor and away from low ground in case of flooding.
- Keep all patio furniture, grills, etc in doors before a summer storm hits. Do not forget to park your vehicles in the garage.
- Finally, take those summer storm warnings and alerts seriously, especially tornado warnings. Tornadoes can lead to total property loss and even death.
How to Handle the Aftermath
After the Storm: What You Can Do
A storm has just blown through, but thankfully you and your family took precautions and no one was harmed. However, there is still a chance something happened in your home, whether it be flooding, backed up sewage, or damage from falling debris. If there’s any major damage to your Barberton or Norton home, the best thing you can do is call the experts at SERVPRO of Barberton/Norton and let the professionals clean up, but there are still some things you can do yourself if you feel up to it.
- Clean up sticks and branches that may have fallen during the storm. This one is by far the easiest, and the branches can easily be thrown away, or used for something like firewood or compost. If a branch or tree has fallen against your house and caused damage, go ahead and call SERVPRO of Barberton/Norton to have it quickly, and expertly repaired.
- Dry out your house as soon as possible. After a storm, if water has gotten inside your home, it will very quickly cause mold to grow, which will create many issues down the road. It’s best to clean up any standing water and dry off surfaces that may grow mold.
- If you see any damage involving sewage, live wires, or possible gas leaks, don’t try and fix it yourself! Immediately call the experts at SERVPRO of Barberton/Nortonto solve this issue for you.
We Handle Flood & Storm Damage
SERVPRO of Barberton/Norton, specializes in storm and flood damage restoration. Our crews are highly trained, and we use specialized equipment to restore your property to its pre-storm condition.
Since we are locally owned and operated, we are able to respond quicker with the right resources, which is extremely important. A fast response lessens the damage, limits further damage, and reduces the restoration cost.
Resources to Handle Floods and Storms
SERVPRO of Barberton/Norton is ready when a storm strikes. Our resources can handle a small or large storm or flooding disaster. We can access equipment and personnel from a network of 1700 Franchises across the country and elite Disaster Recovery Teams that are strategically located throughout the United States.
Have Storm or Flood Damage? Call Us Today 330-825-1803
Storing & Restoring: We Take Care of Your Belongings
We handle your belongings after a loss, so you have one less thing to worry about!
After a fire or water loss occurs at your home or business, it can be hard to conceptualize the extent of damage done, along with the amount of work needed to get your life back on track. You're instantly worried about the structural integrity of your property, but what about what's inside? How do you even go about sorting through and recovering your belongings?
SERVPRO of Barberton/Norton understands that your home is more than a structure. Your furniture, clothing, keepsakes, and other belongings are important to you. And because they're important to you, they're important to us. We provide the following to help restore and protect your belongings while we are restoring your home.
If your home requires extensive restoration or cleaning, SERVPRO of Barberton/Norton can conduct an organized, efficient move-out of the affected area. A move-out will provide several benefits, including the following:
- A quicker remodeling process
- Protecting items from potential damage
- Protecting contents from further on-site damage
When restoration is completed, we will work with you to coordinate the move-in according to your needs. The services offered upon move-in may depend on your insurance coverage.
We have in-house storage where we can keep your belongings safe from further damage. We also provide cleaning and restoration services for your belongings. We have a 18,000 square foot warehouse dedicated to storage where we can keep your items safe and secure. Your items will be placed in clearly-identified and secured containers. You can rest assured that your items are being taken care of.
Contents Inventory Service
When emergency strikes, the damage can often feel overwhelming. We can help ease the worry and confusion during the recovery process by offering our Contents Inventory Service, which provides a detailed and accurate list of your belongings. We take a room-by-room inventory of your contents, including digital photos, and barcodes.
Our Contents Inventory Service:
- Pre-loss list and value of contents
- Detailed and accurate report
- Better information to settle claims quicker
- Assistance with burden of proof for claims
If your home and belongings need restoration services, rest assured that SERVPRO of Barberton/Norton has you covered. We can pack out, store and restore your belongings. Give us a call today at 330-825-1803
The Importance of Viral Pathogen Cleaning
We want to help make sure that your employees are safe from viral pathogens!
SERVPRO of Barberton/Norton has the ability to perform the necessary bio-hazard remediation services to clean, disinfect and sanitize commercial properties against viral pathogens, such as COVID-19.
We use EPA-approved products that follow CDC guidelines for cleaning these viral pathogens. If you would like to inquire about our services, we are here to help 24 hours a day, seven days a week. SERVPRO of Barberton/Norton is experienced in cleaning office buildings, banks, manufacturing plants, assisted living facilities and single-family homes for COVID-19, other types of coronavirus strains, and any other viral pathogens.
We wish all our families, employees and friends to stay safe and healthy. If you are in need of a viral pathogen clean, SERVPRO of Barberton/Norton will be there for you.
Mold Remediation: Handling Mold at Work or at Home
Water damage left untreated could lead to large mold issues down the line.
Handling Mold in Your Home
If you smell something musty in your home in the Barberton/Norton area you may have a mold problem. It may not be immediately visible, though. Mold damage can occur on almost any surface, particularly if it is porous. All it needs to thrive is moisture and something organic to feed on. Here are some places to look for mold and tips on how to keep these places fungus-free.
Where Is It?
Mold or mildew growth may happen anywhere there is too much moisture. Common places in your home where mold could grow include:
Excess dust can also contribute to mold growth. A layer of dust on a surface gives spores in the air another place to attach and grow. Regular dusting can help keep fungus growth at bay.
How Is It Prevented?
Mold is everywhere. It gets inside your home by attaching to clothing, hair, pets and shoes. Once the spores are in this confined space, they start to look for a place to land and grow. Mold damage occurs when they find it.
The most effective way to prevent mold growth is by getting rid of the excess moisture in your home. Try to keep humidity levels between 40-50%. You can measure the humidity in your home with a device from your local hardware store. Make sure rooms that are prone to higher humidity, such as bathrooms and the kitchen, are properly ventilated for good air flow. When you notice a leak, call water remediation specialists immediately to dry and restore the area. Controlling moisture is vital to controlling the spread of mold.
As the homeowner, you play a key role in avoiding mold damage. Rid your home of excess moisture, and when you cannot, inspect all the surfaces where mold can grow to catch it at its beginning stages. By being vigilant about prevention, you can protect the air quality in your home. If you have concerns call SERVPRO of Barberton/Norton to have one of their experts give you a professional evaluation at 330-825-1803.
Handling Mold in Your Business
Mold contamination is a growing concern for businesses of all sizes. Mold, a fungus that is found in damp places, can grow almost anywhere moist conditions exist. Left unattended, it can cause health effects as well as serious structural damage to your facility. As your go-to experts in mold remediation, we take a methodical and systematic approach to carefully identify the source of the mold growth and help eliminate mold from your working environment.
WHY IS MOLD A PROBLEM?
Mold gradually destroys the things it grows on and can grow anywhere, including:
- HVAC system
- Furnishings and more
The presence of mold in your building means significant repairs may be necessary. This presents a financial problem for business owners.
If you suspect mold in your business, count on SERVPRO of Barberton/Norton to quickly remediate the issue and let you get back to business as soon as possible. Once we assess the damage, we'll work with you to create a comprehensive remediation plan unique to your needs. Then, we'll keep you informed every step of the way to ensure we're always on the same page and providing the best work. With our guided expertise, innovative tools and technologies, and our can-do attitude, we'll get your business up and running again as soon as possible
Have a mold concern? Call us today: 330-825-1803.
What an Emergency Ready Profile Could Do for Your Business
We use the best technology to help develop your ERP!
The Best Way to Reduce Business Interruption Following a Disaster in Barberton/Norton is to Plan For it NOW.
As many as 50% of businesses may never recover following a disaster, according to the latest industry research. Of the businesses that survive, the overwhelming majority of them had a preparedness plan in place. Pre-planning can serve as an insurance policy aimed at peace of mind.
By developing a SERVPRO Emergency Ready Profile, ERP, for your business, you minimize business interruption by having an immediate plan of action. Knowing what to do and what to expect in advance is the key to timely mitigation and can help minimize how water and fire damage can affect your business.
Are You Ready?
Preparation is a key component for making it through any size disaster, whether it’s a small water leak, a large fire, or an area flood. The best time for planning for such events is not when the event happens, but well before it happens. No one ever plans on a disaster, but you can plan for it. Now is the time to ask yourself, “Are you ready for whatever could happen?”
The SERVPRO Emergency Ready Profile is a start up approach that provides the critical information needed to begin mitigation and recovery services. It is designed to serve as a quick reference of important building and contact information. By working with SERVPRO’s Emergency Ready Profile, your business will receive the benefit of over 40 years of experience in reducing the impact of any natural or man-made disaster. SERVPRO is a leader in water and fire damage response, and can help you quickly get your property back in working order.
The SERVPRO Emergency Ready Profile Advantage
A no cost assessment of your facility. – This means there is no need to allocate funds, giving you a great value at no cost.
A concise Profile Document that contains only the critical information needed in the event of an emergency. – It will only take a little time to complete and will not take you away from current projects. But it will save a lot of time, if ever needed.
A guide to help you get back into your building following a disaster. – This can help minimize the amount of time your business is inactive by having an immediate plan of action.
Establish SERVPRO of Barberton/Norton as your disaster mitigation and restoration provider. – You have a provider that is recognized as an industry leader and close by.
Identification of the line of command for authorizing work to begin. – This saves time so we can begin the work of mitigating the damage which can save you time and money.
Our 3-D Modeling provides facility details such as shut-off valve locations, priority areas and priority contact information. – Having a quick reference of what to do, how to do it, and who to call provides solutions in advance of an emergency, so that during the emergency you are “Ready for whatever happens.”
Call SERVPRO of Barberton/Norton to schedule your ERP today at 330-825-1803.
What Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned Means to Us
Let us help ease your mind by making your business Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned.
Let us help you get back to business
Following the changes made during the COVID-19 pandemic, SERVPRO has developed a program to help your business meet the new higher standard of clean that is now expected, especially as new viral pathogens pop up.
Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned is a defensive cleaning program we’re offering to businesses and commercial locations to address concerns with viral pathogens. This proactive program goes well beyond janitorial or carpet cleaning. By choosing Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned, you, your employees, your customers, and your community can rest assured that you’ve selected a higher cleaning standard – you are Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned.
Extensive training and specialized products
As the #1 choice in cleanup and restoration*, we stand on more than 50 years of experience and expertise to help your business become Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned. Beyond fire & water, SERVPRO professionals are trained and experienced in biohazard decontamination and chemical spills – always adhering to the cleaning and decontamination standards set by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and local authorities.
From formulating and creating our proprietary cleaning products, like SERVPROXIDE, at our headquarters in Gallatin, TN, to taking the utmost care while disinfecting, we will ensure you and your business are set up to inspire consumer confidence.
3 C’s – Consult, Clean, and Certify
You want a partner who has developed an industry leading, proprietary training program, cleaning solutions, and remediation processes over decades. We’ve cleaned up some of the most challenging biohazards imaginable. Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned reflects our unique experiences and capabilities. The program is grounded with our unique 3 C’s: Consult, Clean, and Certify.
- Consult – Every business is different, which is why you’ll be assigned a Cleaning Protocol Consultant who understands your business and will create a cleaning program to meet your specific needs. This program will be developed based on your business type, size of space, amount of high frequency touchpoints, foot traffic and congestion points.
- Clean – Based on your specific business needs, your location will undergo a thorough, deep clean, using exclusive cleaning products, according to protocols set forth by the CDC. Our employees have years of experience, and we will go beyond the scope of work that regular janitorial staff perform. Cleanup procedures generally include cleaning of porous and non-porous surfaces, disinfecting of non-porous surfaces, cleaning and disinfecting of equipment, tools, and/or supplies used for cleanup process, and disposal of hazardous materials.
- Certify - Once your business location has been Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned, you will gain access to proprietary signage, digital emblems, and other collateral that communicates that you’ve selected a higher standard of clean available to help protect your employees and customers. And because we add the day, month, and year to that proprietary stamp of clean, your guests will know that not only did you choose Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned, but that your location is being cleaned regularly at this standard.
Call SERVPRO of Barberton / Norton today at 330-825-1803 for your Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned consultation.
* #1 Choice in cleanup & restoration based Commercial Attitude & Usage Tracking study. Polling 816 commercial business decision makers on first choice for future needs related to cleanup & restoration work. Study conducted by C&R Research: October 2019
Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned means professionally trained SERVPRO franchises perform the requested cleaning, sanitizing and disinfection services according to proprietary SERVPRO protocols and recognized industry and CDC standards with EPA approved cleaning products to deliver a SERVPRO certified cleaning experience. Each SERVPRO franchise is independently owned and operated.
Preparation, Safety, & Handling the Aftermath: The Fire Guide
No matter the degree of fire damage, our pros will help get your home, and your life, back on track.
Don’t Fail to Prepare!
It is vital to be sure that your smoke detectors are installed properly and are maintained. Functioning smoke alarms can help reduce fire deaths and injuries, and keep your family and property safe.
Here’s what you need to know!
- A closed door may slow the spread of smoke, heat and fire. Smoke alarms should be active in every sleeping room, and in other major areas of the home. Any door that remains closed for an extended period of time daily needs its own alarm.
- Smoke alarms should be interconnected. That way when one sounds, they all sound, alerting you in any part of your home.
- If you have a larger home, you may need to add in more smoke alarms to cover the extra space between them.
- Smoke alarms should be tested at least once a month. Every smoke alarm is equipped with a test button to check if they are working properly.
- Most smoke alarms today are more advanced, allowing them to more easily tell the difference between a real fire emergency and a common household occurrence, like blowing out a candle.
- When a smoke alarm sounds, get outside and stay outside.
- Replace all smoke alarms in your home every 10 years. If a smoke alarm begins to beep indicating a low battery, be sure to replace it right away.
Use Caution While Cooking
Cooking can be a fun and social task, but without caution or care, it can lead to disaster. In order to keep you, your family, and your home safe, it is important to understand the best safety practices when in the kitchen.
- Always Be Present When Food Is Cooking
Never leave cooking food unattended. Kitchen fires can grow quickly, especially when there are no eyes present to catch them when they start. The most common causes of kitchen fires are inattention and distraction. If you need to work, consider bringing a phone or laptop into the kitchen to keep an eye on what’s cooking.
- Keep Children Away from the Stove
Not only is this important to keep your food from ending up on the floor, it is vital to communicate with your children the dangers of a stove, even when there is nothing cooking. Kids love to play with anything they can get their hands on, especially things they see their parents “playing” with. Keep your children away from stoves entirely to avoid unhappy accidents.
- Regular Cleaning
It is easy for small pieces of food to fall into burners or be left behind in your oven. Although these individual scraps are essentially harmless beyond the occasional smell, a buildup can lead to a fire. Thankfully, cleaning your oven or stove top is a simple task you can do in just a few minutes.
- Keeping Appliances in Order
Not all kitchen fires originate from stoves or ovens. With the amount of kitchen appliances used today, from toasters to rice cookers to air fryers, your outlets can fill up quickly. When this happens, DO NOT plug in an extension cord or power strip. With all the commotion that comes with cooking, water can easily cause a short circuit, especially with a power extender, which can lead to a fire.
Accidents Happen: How to Bounce Back From a Fire
After a Fire
No one should have to deal with the grief and stress following a home or business fire. Unfortunately, disasters can strike at any time, no matter how much you prepare.
Following a fire, the best course of action is to allow restoration professionals to take on the burden of cleaning and restoring your home for you. SERVPRO of Barberton/Norton has the expertise and experience to tackle any size job that comes our way. We understand how challenging a time like this can be, so we help you work with your insurance while we take care of your property and its contents. We take care of you every step of the way, from the initial board up, to the cleanup, and all the way through the reconstruction, making it “like it never even happened.”
Beyond our services, you may be able to handle a few pieces of the mitigation process on your own, like odor removal.
Getting Rid of Smokey Odors After a Fire
If you’ve suffered fire damage and need fire damage repair in Barberton/Norton, it’s best to call the experts at SERVPRO to sort it out. But if you’ve dealt with everything yourself, you may still be haunted by the lingering smell of ash and soot. There are several things you can do to get rid of that smell.
These remedies are inexpensive and simple ways to eliminate the everlasting smell that comes with a fire.
Baking soda is a natural odor absorber, so taking several bowls of it and placing them around your house for several days can slowly absorb a lot of the smell. Activated charcoal is another alternative for this same process. Also, weather permitting, you can open your doors and windows in order to get the smell out a bit faster.
Another step you can take is washing your clothes with white vinegar, which will help get rid of the odors. If the smell remains after the initial wash, repeat the process until the odor is fully eliminated.
If your home or business is in need of fire damage restoration in the Barberton/Norton areas, be sure to give our pros a call: 330-825-1803